Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lists

For those of you that know my liking for lists - well, it hasn't changed :) In fact, they've been elevated to the status of survival! - to-do lists and menu lists and shopping lists...I have some pictures that I plan to post soon, but I thought as I have a chance, I'll share a few of my favorite lists with you all.

Our gardening this year was pretty minimum, but some of the things we did get were a bunch of summer squash and enough tomatoes to do a lot of fresh eating, although not a ton of canning. So while they were just getting started, I made a list of all the things I like to do or wanted to try with the afore said produce (it's scary how many of my lists revolve around food...) so I didn't forget something - after all, boughten tomatoes are not the same!

SUMMER SQUASH
(Our zucchini didn't survive, so I substituted summer squash for zucchini in recipes)

Summer Squash Casserole (a favorite of Aaron's family)
stir fry
scrambled eggs
Zucchini bars with cinnamon frosting
Zucchini boats
Summer Squash Patties (new recipe - smells like fair food)
pasta salad
vegetable soup
Texas Two-step Corn
Pasta with Summer squash and Lemon Cream Sauce (new - probably a once-a-year recipe)
zucchini pancakes
dill pickles (haven't tasted them yet)
Savory Stuffed Zucchini (from Mom's family cookbook)

TOMATOES

Savory Stuffed Zucchini (also calls for tomatoes)
Fresh Tomato and Spinach Pasta
fresh salsa
hamburgers
Tomato sandwiches (I like mine with butter and salt and pepper, Aaron eats his with mayo and Cajun seasoning or Tabasco - both on toast, of course!)
Bruschetta
Hot Brown Sandwiches (both this and the bruschetta were new tomato-type sandwich things I tried, ok, but took some time)
Mexican food
lettuce salads
Best of Show Tomato Quiche (new - pretty good, but I think I'll try it w/out the crust)
Southwestern Tomato Soup (still haven't gotten to this one yet)
Tomato Dip for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Roasted Veggie Pizza (with pesto, only I'm still not sure if the herb I used to make it was really basil - but whatever it was it didn't kill us!)
tabbouleh (after complaining about this food my whole life, now I make it...)

If you have any other great ideas, let me know :)